From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] which linux RAID setup to choose?
Date: Sun, 03 May 2020 20:08:04
1 On Sun, May 3, 2020 at 1:44 AM Caveman Al Toraboran
2 <toraboracaveman@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 > * RAID 1: fails to satisfy points (1) and (3)...
5 > this leaves me with RAID 10
6
7 Two things:
8
9 1. RAID 10 doesn't satisfy point 1 (read and write performance are
10 identical). No RAID implementation I'm aware of does.
11
12 2. Some RAID1 implementations can satisfy point 3 (expandability to
13 additional space and replication multiplicities), particular when
14 combined with LVM.
15
16 I'd stop and think about your requirements a bit. You seem really
17 concerned about having identical read and write performance. RAID
18 implementations all have their pros in cons both in comparison with
19 each other, in comparison with non-RAID, and in comparison between
20 read and write within any particular RAID implementation.
21
22 I don't think you should focus so much on whether read=write in your
23 RAID. I'd focus more on whether read and write both meet your
24 requirements.
25
26 And on that note, what are your requirements? You haven't mentioned
27 what you plan to store on it or how this data will be stored or
28 accessed. It is hard to say whether any design will meet your
29 performance requirements when you haven't provided any, other than a
30 fairly arbitrary read=write one.
31
32 In general most RAID1 implementations aren't going to lag regular
33 non-RAID disk by much and will often exceed it (especially for
34 reading). I'm not saying RAID1 is the best option for you - I'm just
35 suggesting that you don't toss it out just because it reads faster
36 than it writes, especially in favor of RAID 10 which also reads faster
37 than it writes but has the additional caveat that small writes may
38 necessitate an additional read before write.
39
40 Not knowing your requirements it is hard to make more specific
41 recommendations but I'd also consider ZFS and distributed filesystems.
42 They have some pros and cons around flexibility and if you're
43 operating at a small scale - it might not be appropriate for your use
44 case, but you should consider them.
47 Rich