From: Erik <esigra@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] "emerge -ef world" and "eclean --destructive distfiles" do not agree
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 01:39:37
1 Alan McKinnon skrev:
2 > On Saturday 23 February 2008, Erik wrote:
3 >
4 >> I am running
5 >> emerge -ef world
6 >> eclean --destructive distfiles'
7 >> emerge -ef world
8 >> eclean --destructive distfiles
9 >> ...
10 >>
11 >> Each time eclean removes the following files:
12 >> * Building file list for distfiles cleaning...
13 >> * Cleaning distfiles...
14 >> [ 258.9 K ] XML-LibXML-1.65.tar.gz
15 >> [ 478.6 K ] klibc-1.5.8.tar.bz2
16 >> [ 290.2 K ] libassuan-1.0.4.tar.bz2
17 >> [ 67.7 K ] mftrace-1.2.9.tar.gz
18 >> [ 9.2 M ] patch-2.6.24-rc7.bz2
19 >> [ 243.4 K ] setuptools-0.6c7.tar.gz
20 >> * Total space that has been freed in distfiles directory: 10.5 M
21 >>
22 >> Then emerge downloads them again. I had expected that those 2
23 >> programs should agree on which files belong in the set of distfiles.
24 >>
25 > What happens if you use 'emerge -uNDf world" instead of 'emerge -ef
26 > world'
27 >
28 > -e is a special case and does not equate to the same thing as -uND
31 "emerge -uNDf world" does nothing because the system is up to date. Even
32 if all distfiles are missing, it does nothing (try to move the distfiles
33 directory away while executing it). That command is supposed to
34 "download everything that is missing to update the system". And since
35 the system is up to date, nothing is needed to update it and it will
36 therefore not download anything.
37
38 What I wanted was "download everything that is missing to reinstall
39 everything that is currently installed". That is what "emerge -ef world"
40 should do. Then I wanted to "remove everything that is not needed to
41 reinstall everything that is currently installed". That is what "eclean
42 --destructive distfiles" should do. Doing both should result in a set of
43 distfiles that is "what is needed and only what is needed to reinstall
44 everything that is currently installed (assuming that the system is up
45 to date)". But since the 2 commands do not agree, something is broken
46 somewhere.
47 --
48 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list