From: Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT]Real compute cycles in a laptop?
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2006 19:34:00
1 On Wednesday 08 November 2006 19:00, Mark Knecht wrote:
2
3 > The problem with running the neural network app is that it's a huge
4 > install under Windows. It requires Internet access as it has a
5 > hardware key that has to be validated against the specific machine.
6 > Probably takes 1 hour just to set up. Then, once it's set up it takes
7 > maybe 15 minutes to run a single solution on my older Athlon XP
8 > 1600+. With that as background I'm sure you can understand that I'm
9 > not anxious to do it more than once or twice.
10
11 OK, scrap that idea
12
13 > What I was hoping to do was find some basic way of comparing the
14 > BogoMIPS on my old Athlon XP machine with BogoMIPS on some new
15 > machines at the dealer. They haven't had any problems in the past
16 > with me bringing in a LiveCD and booting Linux. If I could do this
17 > then I might estimate that the new machine will run the same speed or
18 > will run 3X the speed when doing these neural network jobs?
19
20 For this purpose bogomips is meaningless - it's simply a measure of how
21 fast the cpu can execute a very specific and very tight loop and is
22 used for some timing setting or other during kernel initialization.
23 Bears almost no resemblance to real life operation, other than it's
24 safe to say that bogomips goes up as cpu freq goes up
25
26 [snip]
27
28 > 5) The current Athlon XP Windows machine is busy running Trading
29 > Solutions but when in Linux I *think* it has a BogoMIPS spec around
30 > 2800. No way to verify that right now.
31 >
32 > It's pretty boring but it seems that you can sort of double the CPU
33 > MHz spec and come pretty close to the BogoMIPS numbers. However that
34 > doesn't take cache size into account so maybe BogoMIPS isn't even the
35 > right thing to be looking at.
36
37 bogomips is usually about double the cpu speed, but you can't count on
38 that. I would imagine that cache size and fpu performance were
39 significant factors.
40
41 Let's assume this app of your is floating point intensive (fairly safe
42 assumption), and doesn't use a heck of a lot of RAM or disk (already
43 shown to be true). So now you need to rate the fpu of the various
44 processors and machines around. So I would read reviews of various
45 machines in computer performance mags where they publish sane
46 benchmarks, to get an idea of what would be best
47
48 alan
49 --
50 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list