From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT]Real compute cycles in a laptop?
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2006 17:11:01
1 On 11/7/06, Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za> wrote:
2 >
3 > You seem to know enough about these matters already to make a sane
4 > judgement, so you probably already know that the real answer to your
5 > question is "it depends".
6 >
7 > Here's what I would do: pop along to your local store, preferably not
8 > one of the big chains, find the sanest sales guy with a clue and
9 > explain your problem. Don't listen to his recommendations, just ask if
10 > you can test his demo machines with the actual app in question. If it's
11 > an owner run store he probably say yes. Then test the thing for real
12 > and measure progress after 30 minutes or so. Buy the best performer.
13 >
14 > This will take a while, but at least you'll know for real which one
15 > suits your needs best
16 >
17 > alan
18
19 Thanks Alan.
20
21 The problem with running the neural network app is that it's a huge
22 install under Windows. It requires Internet access as it has a
23 hardware key that has to be validated against the specific machine.
24 Probably takes 1 hour just to set up. Then, once it's set up it takes
25 maybe 15 minutes to run a single solution on my older Athlon XP 1600+.
26 With that as background I'm sure you can understand that I'm not
27 anxious to do it more than once or twice.
28
29 What I was hoping to do was find some basic way of comparing the
30 BogoMIPS on my old Athlon XP machine with BogoMIPS on some new
31 machines at the dealer. They haven't had any problems in the past with
32 me bringing in a LiveCD and booting Linux. If I could do this then I
33 might estimate that the new machine will run the same speed or will
34 run 3X the speed when doing these neural network jobs?
35
36 Here's some info on the machines in my house today:
37
38 1) A 3GHz P4HT machine we use as a MythTV backend server and desktop machine:
39
40 processor : 0
41 vendor_id : GenuineIntel
42 cpu family : 15
43 model : 3
44 model name : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
45 stepping : 3
46 cpu MHz : 2995.346
47 cache size : 1024 KB
48 <SNIP>
49 bogomips : 5996.11
50
51 processor : 1
52 vendor_id : GenuineIntel
53 cpu family : 15
54 model : 3
55 model name : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
56 stepping : 3
57 cpu MHz : 2995.346
58 cache size : 1024 KB
59 <SNIP>
60 bogomips : 5990.25
61
62 2) My son's AMD Compaq low cost machine:
63
64 processor : 0
65 vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
66 cpu family : 15
67 model : 47
68 model name : AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 3200+
69 stepping : 2
70 cpu MHz : 1803.767
71 cache size : 256 KB
72 <SNIP>
73 bogomips : 3611.84
74
75 3) 1 of 2 Pundit-R's used as Myth frontend machines:
76
77 processor : 0
78 vendor_id : GenuineIntel
79 cpu family : 15
80 model : 3
81 model name : Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.26GHz
82 stepping : 4
83 cpu MHz : 2261.847
84 cache size : 256 KB
85 <SNIP>
86 bogomips : 4526.57
89 4) My AMD64 Gentoo machine is use daily:
90
91 processor : 0
92 vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
93 cpu family : 15
94 model : 47
95 model name : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+
96 stepping : 0
97 cpu MHz : 1809.286
98 cache size : 512 KB
99 <SNIP>
100 bogomips : 3619.63
101
102 5) The current Athlon XP Windows machine is busy running Trading
103 Solutions but when in Linux I *think* it has a BogoMIPS spec around
104 2800. No way to verify that right now.
105
106 It's pretty boring but it seems that you can sort of double the CPU
107 MHz spec and come pretty close to the BogoMIPS numbers. However that
108 doesn't take cache size into account so maybe BogoMIPS isn't even the
109 right thing to be looking at.
110
111 At the root of it all my questions are:
112
113 1) How representative are BogoMIPS in determining how fast a machine
114 will eventually be on compute bound apps?
115
116 2) Are there any good listings of BogoMIPS on different processor
117 types and speeds? (This is what I really want....)
118
119 3) Do BogoMIPS include FPU measurements in case that is important for my app?
120
121 4) How well do BogoMIPS translate to the same machine when it runs Win XP?
122
123 Anyway, thanks very much for your answers. I appreciate the help even
124 if it isn't primarily about running Gentoo. I suspect there are others
125 out there that have to dual boot. Maybe this will help someone in the
126 future with similar questions.
127
128 Cheers,
129 Mark