From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Strange keyboard problem
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 16:16:20
1 Hi,
2
3 I have an ~amd64 laptop, running latest portage version of packages
4 and kernel 3.7.2. It was set up with fbsplash and quiet boot, so I
5 don't see any kernel/openrc messages, just the splash screen and
6 progress bar prior to the X login screen. It is using radeon KMS
7 driver.
8
9 For the past few weeks I've had a strange problem: when I type things
10 in Xorg, it also types them into the first text console! Imagine my
11 surprise when I had been doing an emerge in Xfce's terminal and
12 ctrl-alt-F1 and saw the same output and commands typed into the text
13 console.
14
15 Now I don't know if it was actually executing my typed commands twice,
16 or simply showing the same console output there as in X. This happens
17 whether I use xdm/slim/kdm or start Xorg manually after logging in as
18 a regular user.
19
20 It does not happen every time I reboot or every time I open X console,
21 but it is frequent enough. It seems that if I switch back and forth,
22 close and reopen terminal in Xorg, then it works normally after that.
23
24 Around the same time this started, another two strange problems started:
25 1) xdm/slim/kdm sometimes does not start until I press alt-F7. Gentoo
26 will boot to text terminal login prompt in this case.
27 2) quiet boot no longer works, I see kernel messages scrolling prior
28 to fbsplash kicking in. This started when I updated to kernel 3.7.
29
30 It seems like perhaps they could be related...
31
32 Has anyone seen/heard of this behavior before? I will try removing all
33 fbsplash stuff and recompiling the kernel when next I get a chance, to
34 see if it makes any difference. Maybe I should downgrade to a 3.6
35 kernel first to see if that's really related or coincidental.