From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] SMR drives (WAS: cryptsetup close and device in use when it is not)
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2021 03:47:20
1 On 1/8/21 11:36 am, William Kenworthy wrote:
2 > On 1/8/21 8:50 am, Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
3 >> Am Sat, Jul 31, 2021 at 12:58:29PM +0800 schrieb William Kenworthy:
4 >>
5 >>> Its not raid, just a btrfs single on disk (no partition).  Contains a
6 >>> single borgbackup repo for an offline backup of all the online
7 >>> borgbackup repo's I have for a 3 times a day backup rota of individual
8 >>> machines/data stores
9 >> So you are borg’ing a repo into a repo? I am planning on simply rsync’ing
10 >> the borg directory from one external HDD to another. Hopefully SMR can cope
11 >> with this adequatly.
12 >>
13 >> And you are storing several machines into a single repo? The docs say this
14 >> is not supported officially. But I have one repo each for /, /home and data
15 >> for both my PC and laptop. Using a wrapper script, I create snapshots that
16 >> are named $HOSTNAME_$DATE in each repo.
17 > Basicly yes: I use a once per hour snapshot of approximately 500Gib of
18 > data on moosefs, plus borgbackups 3 times a day to individual repos on
19 > moosefs for each host.  3 times a day, the latest snapshot is stuffed
20 > into a borg repo on moosefs and the old  snapshots are deleted.  I
21 > currently manually push all the repos into a borg repo on the USB3 SMR
22 > drive once a day or so.
23 >
24 > 1. rsync (and cp etc.) are dismally slow on SMR - use where you have to,
25 > avoid otherwise.
28 > forgot to mention
29
30 1a. borgbackup repos are not easily copy'able - each repo has a unique
31 ID and copy'ing via rsync creates a duplicate, not a new repo with a new
32 cache and metadata which depending on how you use can cause
33 corruption/data loss.  Google it.
34
35 BillK