From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] SMR drives (WAS: cryptsetup close and device in use when it is not)
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2021 21:38:22
1 Am Sun, Aug 01, 2021 at 11:46:02AM +0800 schrieb William Kenworthy:
2
3 > >> And you are storing several machines into a single repo? The docs say this
4 > >> is not supported officially. But I have one repo each for /, /home and data
5 > >> for both my PC and laptop. Using a wrapper script, I create snapshots that
6 > >> are named $HOSTNAME_$DATE in each repo.
7 > > Basicly yes: I use a once per hour snapshot of approximately 500Gib of
8 > > data on moosefs, plus borgbackups 3 times a day to individual repos on
9 > > moosefs for each host.  3 times a day, the latest snapshot is stuffed
10 > > into a borg repo on moosefs and the old  snapshots are deleted.  I
11 > > currently manually push all the repos into a borg repo on the USB3 SMR
12 > > drive once a day or so.
13 > >
14 > > 1. rsync (and cp etc.) are dismally slow on SMR - use where you have to,
15 > > avoid otherwise.
18 > > forgot to mention
19 >
20 > 1a. borgbackup repos are not easily copy'able - each repo has a unique
21 > ID and copy'ing via rsync creates a duplicate, not a new repo with a new
22 > cache and metadata which depending on how you use can cause
23 > corruption/data loss.  Google it.
24
25 Yup. Today I did my (not so) weekly backup and rsynced the repo to the new
26 drive. After that I wanted to compare performance of my old 3 TB drive and
27 the new SMR one by deleting a snapshot from the repo on each drive. But Borg
28 objected on the second deletion, because “the cache was newer”. But that’s
29 okay. I actually like this, as this will prevent me from chaning two repos
30 in parallel which would make them incompatible.
33 Grüße | Greetings | Qapla’
34 Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.
35
36 Fat stains become like new if they are regularly treated with butter.