From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Install Gentoo on remote server
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2017 17:30:23
1 >>> I'm getting ready to install Gentoo on a remote bare metal server at SoftLayer:
2 >>>
3 >>> http://knowledgelayer.softlayer.com/procedure/mount-iso-bare-metal-server
4 >>>
5 >>> Option 1 requires that I have "infrastructure deployed on SoftLayer"
6 >>> which I guess means a second server there which I don't have. Option
7 >>> 2 seems to require that I have a NAS at SoftLayer which I don't have.
8 >>> That leaves me with Option 3 which requires that I set up a VPN
9 >>> connection, enable java in my browser, and download "Java iKVM
10 >>> viewer".
11 >>>
12 >>> Is there a better way? If not, is there an easy way to set up that
13 >>> VPN connection? I've always read that OpenVPN is a bear and I've been
14 >>> lucky enough to avoid needing it all this time.
15 >>
16 >> Hi,
17 >>
18 >> Does SoftLayer provide a rescue OS for there servers? Or at least,
19 >> some amd64 linux that you can boot from PXE.
22 > It looks like they have both:
23 >
24 > https://knowledgelayer.softlayer.com/procedure/launch-rescue-kernel
25 >
26 > https://knowledgelayer.softlayer.com/learning/introduction-no-os
27 >
28 > Is the rescue kernel likely a way to boot to some attached OS with tools?
29 >
30 > Also I have several identical disks on this system if there's a way to
31 > leverage that for this purpose.
34 I booted the "Rescue" and I think it's the same OS except read-only
35 and probably some other tweaks.
36
37 - Grant