From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Install Gentoo on remote server
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2017 17:20:35
1 >> I'm getting ready to install Gentoo on a remote bare metal server at SoftLayer:
2 >>
3 >> http://knowledgelayer.softlayer.com/procedure/mount-iso-bare-metal-server
4 >>
5 >> Option 1 requires that I have "infrastructure deployed on SoftLayer"
6 >> which I guess means a second server there which I don't have. Option
7 >> 2 seems to require that I have a NAS at SoftLayer which I don't have.
8 >> That leaves me with Option 3 which requires that I set up a VPN
9 >> connection, enable java in my browser, and download "Java iKVM
10 >> viewer".
11 >>
12 >> Is there a better way? If not, is there an easy way to set up that
13 >> VPN connection? I've always read that OpenVPN is a bear and I've been
14 >> lucky enough to avoid needing it all this time.
15 >
16 > Hi,
17 >
18 > Does SoftLayer provide a rescue OS for there servers? Or at least,
19 > some amd64 linux that you can boot from PXE.
22 It looks like they have both:
23
24 https://knowledgelayer.softlayer.com/procedure/launch-rescue-kernel
25
26 https://knowledgelayer.softlayer.com/learning/introduction-no-os
27
28 Is the rescue kernel likely a way to boot to some attached OS with tools?
29
30 Also I have several identical disks on this system if there's a way to
31 leverage that for this purpose.
32
33 - Grant