From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: new machine : case + power
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2015 13:36:54
1 On 17/09/2015 15:26, james wrote:
2 >> With that GPU, you don't need more than 400W. And the amps on the 12V
3 >> > rail are also not important, as that only comes into play with
4 >> > higher-end GPUs. Other features can still be important though, like
5 >> > protection against surges and such (think lightning strikes that can
6 >> > potentially damage your PC, or some PSU malfunction that could do the same.)
7 >
8 > True, but you are not considering transient voltage swings. If your rig
9 > draws 350 W and you have a 400 W PS, you will get spikes and draw-downs
10 > on the voltage during transient period of peak usage. This will kill a PS
11 > over time, faster that if the 350W rig is running off a 500W supply.
12 > Lots of quality capacitors in the PS minimize these effects. If the PS
13 > is rated as extremely efficient (compared to other PS) then it has
14 > better quality components inside the PS (they react faster to transients).
17 I have yet to see a computer that draws 350W sustained :-)
18 Spikes of brief duration yes, sustained no.[1]
19
20 But now I'm being pedantic right after you tried so hard not to be.
23 [1] Anyone who wants to know just how much power 350W really is,
24 consider that your electric kettle is about 1000W and can boil 1.7l of
25 cold water in 2 minutes. I know [CG]PUs get hot, but they don't get
26 *that* hot.
29 Alan McKinnon
30 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com