From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Kernel compiles ... monitoring
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 03:14:37
1 On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 9:01 PM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Sep 27, 2011 8:47 AM, "Harry Putnam" <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> writes:
6 >>
7 >> > What do your basics performance tools like top and friends say? See
8 >> > what swap usage looks like outside the chroot while the compile is
9 >> > running - is it thrashing? What speed are you getting for the hard disk
10 >> > from hdparm -t -T?
11 >>
12 >> Top shows CC taking about 50% or in that vacinity... nothing else of
13 >> note is running.  But man I've been at this for 3 days, or so.
14 >> Created at least 6 different kernels and none will get me
15 >> booted... either I get a panic and root cannot be mounted, or the
16 >> screen goes black shortly after grub screen... and nothing more
17 >> happens.
18 >>
19 >> I've tried 3.0.4 and backed up to 2.6.39* ... all this on a machine
20 >> that has run gentoo for several yrs.  And I'm not a complete greenhorn
21 >> either.
22 >>
23 >> There must be some other source of problem I don't know about is all I
24 >> can think...
25 >>
26 >> I'm on the verge of copying an OS off the livecd and using that
27 >> kernel... this is just ridiculous.
30 > Weird.
31 >
32 > A thought occurred: could there be failing hardware? Start with testing your
33 > RAM, then your hard disk, then everything else.
34
35 With speed that slow it reminds me of CPU cache gone bad