From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Kernel compiles ... monitoring
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 02:04:18
1 On Sep 27, 2011 8:47 AM, "Harry Putnam" <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> writes:
4 >
5 > > What do your basics performance tools like top and friends say? See
6 > > what swap usage looks like outside the chroot while the compile is
7 > > running - is it thrashing? What speed are you getting for the hard disk
8 > > from hdparm -t -T?
9 >
10 > Top shows CC taking about 50% or in that vacinity... nothing else of
11 > note is running. But man I've been at this for 3 days, or so.
12 > Created at least 6 different kernels and none will get me
13 > booted... either I get a panic and root cannot be mounted, or the
14 > screen goes black shortly after grub screen... and nothing more
15 > happens.
16 >
17 > I've tried 3.0.4 and backed up to 2.6.39* ... all this on a machine
18 > that has run gentoo for several yrs. And I'm not a complete greenhorn
19 > either.
20 >
21 > There must be some other source of problem I don't know about is all I
22 > can think...
23 >
24 > I'm on the verge of copying an OS off the livecd and using that
25 > kernel... this is just ridiculous.
28 Weird.
29
30 A thought occurred: could there be failing hardware? Start with testing your
31 RAM, then your hard disk, then everything else.
32
33 Rgds,