From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Kernel compiles ... monitoring
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 01:44:38
1 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > What do your basics performance tools like top and friends say? See
4 > what swap usage looks like outside the chroot while the compile is
5 > running - is it thrashing? What speed are you getting for the hard disk
6 > from hdparm -t -T?
7
8 Top shows CC taking about 50% or in that vacinity... nothing else of
9 note is running. But man I've been at this for 3 days, or so.
10 Created at least 6 different kernels and none will get me
11 booted... either I get a panic and root cannot be mounted, or the
12 screen goes black shortly after grub screen... and nothing more
13 happens.
14
15 I've tried 3.0.4 and backed up to 2.6.39* ... all this on a machine
16 that has run gentoo for several yrs. And I'm not a complete greenhorn
17 either.
18
19 There must be some other source of problem I don't know about is all I
20 can think...
21
22 I'm on the verge of copying an OS off the livecd and using that
23 kernel... this is just ridiculous.