From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Kernel compiles ... monitoring
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 02:00:21
1 On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 9:42 PM, Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> writes:
3 >
4 >> What do your basics performance tools like top and friends say? See
5 >> what swap usage looks like outside the chroot while the compile is
6 >> running - is it thrashing? What speed are you getting for the hard disk
7 >> from hdparm -t -T?
8 >
9 > Top shows CC taking about 50% or in that vacinity... nothing else of
10 > note is running.  But man I've been at this for 3 days, or so.
11
12 There's just no way your system is behaving appropriately.
13
14 Have you ever used the tool 'htop'? It's quite handy for visualizing
15 CPU usage, including CPUs waiting for, e.g. disk I/O.
16
17 Also, when running "make bzImage" and "make modules", be sure to
18 supply a -j option.
19
20 On my system (quad-core phenom 9650) I measured the sweet spot as
21 being at -j8 while building mplayer on a tmpfs mount. Any higher or
22 lower led to an increase in time required for the jobs to complete.
23
24 Also, you might tail -f /var/log/syslog, or poke dmesg from time to
25 time, and run some smart tests; your disk might be on its last legs.
26 --
27 :wq