From: Wang Xuerui <idontknw.wang@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Do I really need 194 pkgs to install git?
Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2013 14:57:47
1 2013/8/3 Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>:
2 > Hehe, alright, now we're talking.... that reduced dependancies to just
3 > 1 lonesome cpio.
4 >
5 > Now, is it reasonable to install that way? Will I run into some
6 > horrible unsightly mess using git, when installed this way.
7
8 IIRC you only have to do USE="-perl" and most dependencies will be
9 gone... I distantly recall the last time I installed git on one of my
10 server nodes most packages pulled in was in the form virtual/perl-*
11 and perl-*/*, i.e. CPAN packages.
12
13 However, according to the ebuild, you need USE="perl" set if you want
14 to enable subversion support or something funnier like CGI, so you'd
15 probably have to consider this whole thing a little bit more before
16 drawing your conclusion...