From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Do I really need 194 pkgs to install git?
Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2013 15:44:50
1 Wang Xuerui <idontknw.wang@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > 2013/8/3 Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>:
4 >> Hehe, alright, now we're talking.... that reduced dependancies to just
5 >> 1 lonesome cpio.
6 >>
7 >> Now, is it reasonable to install that way? Will I run into some
8 >> horrible unsightly mess using git, when installed this way.
9 >
10 > IIRC you only have to do USE="-perl" and most dependencies will be
11 > gone... I distantly recall the last time I installed git on one of my
12 > server nodes most packages pulled in was in the form virtual/perl-*
13 > and perl-*/*, i.e. CPAN packages.
14 >
15 > However, according to the ebuild, you need USE="perl" set if you want
16 > to enable subversion support or something funnier like CGI, so you'd
17 > probably have to consider this whole thing a little bit more before
18 > drawing your conclusion...
19
20 Well, I see leaving perl, python and curl alone, or that is, NOT
21 including -perl -python -curl, still knocks it down to less than half
22 of the 194... at 79 pkgs. The vast majority are virtual/perl or other
23 perl pkgs... so not much data wise.
24
25 So, anyway, thinking I'll go with
26
27 USE="-blksha1 -gpg -iconv -pcre -threads -webdav -cgi
28 -cvs -doc -emacs -gnome-keyring -gtk -highlight -nls -ppcsha1
29 -subversion -test -tk -xinetd" emerge -v dev-vcs/git
30
31 Unless I hear something that would indicate it will be too crippled
32 even for the usage I plan.