From: Bill Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] git serving portage tree.
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2015 22:43:09
1 On 03/11/15 06:08, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2 > On 11/02/2015 04:52 PM, Bill Kenworthy wrote:
3 >> I have been playing with using git to sync portage while watching the
4 >> conversation on gentoo-dev. Works, and after the initial sync it is
5 >> actually faster than rsync and you get changelogs of a sort.
6 >>
7 >> Is there a guide to set up git as a local server for portage?
10 > What do you mean by local server? You want to share the git repo on one
11 > of your machines with some other machines of yours?
12 >
13 > If so, the git repo is just a directory, and can be copied around with
14 > scp or anything else. But to do it efficiently, git knows how to operate
15 > over SSH. So on the client, you can do something like,
16 >
17 > $ git clone my-server.example.com:/path/to/repo.git
18 >
19 > Enter the SSH password for your account on my-server.example.com, and
20 > git will clone the whole repo. Later on, running `git pull` on the
21 > client (from within the repo.git directory) will sync it.
25 Thanks. Yes I have a few gentoo machines and around 12 gentoo VM's - I
26 currently use a rsync/httpreplicator to a master machine architecture
27 which could be replaced by git.
28
29 BillK