From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Partitions - last questions...
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 15:13:05
1 On 2013-04-24 8:48 AM, Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net> wrote:
2 >> One thing I'm trying to do is make the system as secure as
3 >> possible at the filesystem level, and I've read that making /tmp
4 >> and /var/tmp separate partitions so you can mount them
5 >> /nodev/noexec/nosuid is one way to make things a bit more
6 >> secure...
7
8 > noexec won't work for portage so put PORTAGE_TMPDIR somewhere else.
9
10 Ok, but - does it make sense to add the noexec option to /var/tmp? Is it
11 possible that there are other apps that need exec capability in there?
12
13 >> On that note, I realized I can't make two /tmp's in lvm, so, I guess I
14 >> can make a vtmp, and just bind that to /var/tmp in fstab like:
15 >>
16 >> /dev/vg/vtmp /var/tmp ext4 nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
17 >>
18 >> Will that work?
19
20 > Sure why not but you should set the pass column to 2 instead of 0.
21
22 What is the 'pass' column? Th 5th column is the 'dump' column, and the
23 6th is the 'fsck' column, afaik?
24
25 Thanks for the comments!