From: Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Partitions - last questions...
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 15:31:42
1 Am 24.04.2013 17:12, schrieb Tanstaafl:
2 > On 2013-04-24 8:48 AM, Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net> wrote:
3 >>> One thing I'm trying to do is make the system as secure as
4 >>> possible at the filesystem level, and I've read that making /tmp
5 >>> and /var/tmp separate partitions so you can mount them
6 >>> /nodev/noexec/nosuid is one way to make things a bit more
7 >>> secure...
8 >
9 >> noexec won't work for portage so put PORTAGE_TMPDIR somewhere else.
10 >
11 > Ok, but - does it make sense to add the noexec option to /var/tmp? Is it
12 > possible that there are other apps that need exec capability in there?
15 It makes sense. Any world-writable directory should be noexec to make
16 script injection harder. Other directories, too, like /var/www (if you
17 can, i.e. no cgi). I cannot tell you if any application might need it.
18 Try it. It is easy enough to revert, maybe even with a `mount -o
19 remount`, I'm not sure.
20
21 Also, look at
22 http://serverfault.com/questions/72356/how-useful-is-mounting-tmp-noexec
23
24 >>> On that note, I realized I can't make two /tmp's in lvm, so, I guess I
25 >>> can make a vtmp, and just bind that to /var/tmp in fstab like:
26 >>>
27 >>> /dev/vg/vtmp /var/tmp ext4 nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
28 >>>
29 >>> Will that work?
30 >
31 >> Sure why not but you should set the pass column to 2 instead of 0.
32 >
33 > What is the 'pass' column? Th 5th column is the 'dump' column, and the
34 > 6th is the 'fsck' column, afaik?
37 Okay, your "fsck" column is called "pass" in my fstab. Anyway, a value
38 of two means "fsck after root", one means "fsck as root" and 0 "no
39 fsck". See `man fstab`. Obviously you want fsck.
40
41 Regards,
42 Florian Philipp