From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Ridiculous nagging problem unable to ping
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2008 06:45:04
1 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> writes:
2
3 > On Sun, 07 Dec 2008 16:30:05 -0600, Harry Putnam wrote:
4 >
5 >> Yes Its a Netgear FVS-318 router at the head of my home lan between
6 >> lan and internet cable modem.
7 >
8 > Can you ping the router?
9
10 Yes, usually my first test during network hookups. Its just such a
11 natural thing to ping outside for testing resolv.conf, that its quite
12 aggravating every time I forget which machine I'm on and try it from
13 the one where it won't work.
14
15 Not only can I ping the router... but I can connect with tcp to
16 anything I want to on the internet.
17
18 Its just that I can't ping the internet. So its something I can live
19 with for the most part but every so often the ingrained habit of ping
20 testing something outside will cause me some aggravation.
21
22 That would seem to indicate some sort of icmp blocking but again, I
23 can not see any evidence of that on the router.