From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Microcode updates for "old" Intel CPU's
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2018 23:02:32
1 On Thu, Jan 11, 2018 at 5:41 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Most vendors only sell Intel in their laptops. I could build a desktop I
4 > guess, but Ryzen is also affected by Spectre. With Intel's burning platform I
5 > want to jump off, but I'm not sure if spending money at this stage will
6 > materially improve my PC security ... or if it is wiser to wait for the next
7 > round of 'improved' CPUs.
10 I wouldn't let Spectre drive you to hold off on buying a CPU. If
11 you're happy with what you have stick with it. If not get what makes
12 the most sense, which is probably Ryzen at this point unless your
13 particular workload benefits from the marginal single-thread
14 performance of Intel even after any Meltdown handicaps.
15
16 IMO Spectre is going to drive some microcode updates for relatively
17 recent CPUs, compiler improvements, and some hand-tuning of
18 particularly critical code.
21 Rich