From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Microcode updates for "old" Intel CPU's
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2018 22:41:35
1 On Wednesday, 10 January 2018 01:46:08 GMT Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Tue, Jan 9, 2018 at 8:33 PM, Corbin Bird <corbinbird@×××××××.net> wrote:
3 > > On 01/09/2018 01:56 AM, Mick wrote:
4 > >
5 > > At this point, the only sure bet, is a non x86, x86_64, ARM, ARM64 CPU.
6 > >
7 > > Don't know enough to make a recommendation on a particular CPU arch at
8 > > this
9 > > point.
10 >
11 > Good luck with that...
12 >
13 > If you aren't hearing about Spectre fixes for a CPU it is most likely
14 > because it is so obscure that nobody has bothered to check whether it
15 > is vulnerable.
16 >
17 > Sure, there are some CPUs that have been tested and found to be ok.
18 > However, almost anything modern is vulnerable to spectre. I just
19 > wasn't something that was on anybody's radar. New CPUs are likely to
20 > be resistant to these types of attacks regardless of vendor.
21
22 Yes, but I would be surprised if new 'fixed' CPUs land anytime before 2019 ...
23 if not 2020. I'd rather not be running an old Intel i7 which has not had its
24 microcode patched all the way until then - if the complimentary microcode
25 patch is *also* improving security besides speed, after the consequential
26 kernel patches.
29 > Sure, if I was about to place an order for 1000 CPUs tomorrow I'd
30 > probably pick AMD over Intel to avoid the PTI overhead, but that is
31 > about as far as I'd let these vulnerabilities affect purchase
32 > decisions. There are lots of good reasons to go with ARM vs x86, but
33 > this isn't really one of them. And outside of x86/ARM I think almost
34 > any other CPU choice is going to be a niche item.
35
36 I've seen Linus making statements back in 2016 of the year of the ARM laptop
37 being upon us (Chromebook anyone?) and I've seen the 10nm Qualcomm Snapdragon
38 835 ARM laptop by Asus featuring on CES 2018 with impressively long battery
39 life, but I have no idea how it compares in performance terms with the equally
40 vulnerable current x86 arch machines. That may be a different discussion
41 anyway.
42
43 Most vendors only sell Intel in their laptops. I could build a desktop I
44 guess, but Ryzen is also affected by Spectre. With Intel's burning platform I
45 want to jump off, but I'm not sure if spending money at this stage will
46 materially improve my PC security ... or if it is wiser to wait for the next
47 round of 'improved' CPUs.
48
49 Are any of you planning to replace your Intel PCs and what are you considering
50 as a replacement at present?
51 --
52 Regards,
53 Mick