From: Paige Thompson <erratic@××××××××××.sx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] The future of linux, and Gentoo specifically now
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2014 19:09:56
1 On 11/21/14 17:39, wireless@×××××××××××.com wrote:
2 > On 11/21/14 07:00, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >> On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 2:32 AM, Canek Peláez Valdés
4 >> <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>> It's actually a great thing for a lot of use cases. But it doesn't
6 >>> seem that Gentoo will change defaults soon, although systemd works
7 >>> great with it.
8 >>>
9 >>
10 >> My (personal) sense is that in the medium-term we may end up moving to
11 >> not having any default at all, just as with bootloaders, kernels,
12 >> syslog, crontab, mail, etc. That is pretty-much the Gentoo way
13 >> everywhere else when there are options.
14 >>
15 >> As you already pointed out, as long as somebody cares to maintain
16 >> openrc and write init scripts for it, there will be support for it.
17 >> Many init scripts and systemd units are contributed by outside users
18 >> already, and policy is that maintainers cannot block them from being
19 >> added to packages (though they do not have to write/maintain them
20 >> personally).
21 >>
22 >> Gentoo doesn't really tend to exclude anything, and inclusion is a
23 >> matter of whether somebody wants to put in the work.
24 >
25 >> Rich
26 >
27 > Very wall expressed and neutral. This is an "800 lb gorilla" that nobody
28 > seems to be talking about; that is embedded linux. Embedded linux now
29 > accounts for at least 20 times the number of deployments of linux than
30 > workstations and servers combined; some argue it is far more, others a
31 > bit less. Regardless, embedded linux is a force that is driving the
32 > semiconductor markets. There's not much margin on 32bit or less. etc etc.
33 >
34 > The main point of embedded linux is take what Rich has articulated above
35 > and multiply it by a billion. There is no such thing as standard
36 > embedded linux. If Systemd is successful, with very large embedded
37 > systems (dozens to hundreds of cores) then it has a future. If it
38 > fails in that space, it may survive, but not likely. It will old serve
39 > to isolate those distros that go down that path, exclusively, *imho*.
40 >
41 > Regardless, the smaller, cheaper embedded linux crowd is very unlikely
42 > to ever embrace systemd. Why? Glad you asks. Thousands of reasons, but,
43 > here are a few: It is very common in embedded (anything) to run
44 > multiple and often different rtos (real time operating system) on
45 > different embedded systems products, often to circumvent licenses,
46 > royalties, duplication, security and a plethora of other reasons.
47 > Furthermore, many embedded systems run simultaneous codes on a single
48 > core and systemd does not fit into that scheme of things, at all.
51 > So, even if gentoo becomes stupid and decides to abandon openrc. Many
52 > folks will just move to embedded (gentoo) linux and play "follow the
53 > leaders" with bootstrapping there cores.
54 >
55 > Rest easy as the devs fight this one out. I hope systemd survives
56 > and prospers. I can tell you one area of massive failure and that is
57 > clustering/cloud computing. Sure the "big dogs" with big buck are
58 > claiming to use systemd, but they only roll out binary offerings. When
59 > others try to use one of the commercial brands of linux and build a
60 > cluster/cloud from the source-codes up, there are all sorts of problems.
61 >
62 > Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Very strange, batman. Very strange.
65 > What is going on, is wildly variant. YMMV. But, should I be a sporting
66 > man, my money is on the embedded folks deciding if something other than
67 > systemd survives. Why do I bet on embedded folks? Easy. I personally
68 > know of dozens of folks that code in machine, assembler all the way
69 > through any language they choose. They routinely build entire systems,
70 > custom on a wide bit of processors. Only a few of those folks are
71 > necessary to keep alternatives to systemd alive, prosperous and
72 > clearly documented. There are most likely tens of thousands of the
73 > folks around the world. Do the math. Each time one of these experts
74 > build an embedded
75 > (linux) system, it is usually optimized and so wonderful, that
76 > companies clone them in counts of thousands to millions of deployed
77 > linux systems. The fact that the majority rare require human tinkering,
78 > is both a testament to how well they run and the wisdon of these
79 > brilliant developers to keep the rank and file humanoids using winblows
80 > and OXlooser operating systems.
81 >
82 > A forking of the linux kernel would be the best thing to happen to
83 > opensource, in a very, very long time. The kernel development has become
84 > a "good ole boys club" imho.
85 >
86 > Embedded linux runs everywhere; so rest easy!
89 > peace,
90 > James
98 I hope for this to be the case