From: Roger Mason <rmason@×××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] laptop sometimes needs double keystrokes
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 12:38:10
1 Hello Benno,
2
3 Benno Schulenberg <benno.schulenberg@×××××.com> writes:
4
5 > Roger Mason wrote:
6 >> >> I have a strange problem on my laptop[1] wherein I need
7 >> >> sometimes need to enter keystrokes twice in order for them to
8 >> >> be recognised. For example, I type 'ls' but the 's' needs to
9 >> >> be entered twice.
10 >
11 > Are it certain keys (like the 's') that have the problem?
12
13 That is common, but then I mostly use the command line and so ls is
14 used a lot.
15
16 > Are it
17 > certain key combinations?
18
19 Not that I have noticed.
20
21 > Is it only at certain positions (like
22 > the second key on a new line)?
23
24 That is the most common manifestation, e.g. missing the 'v' from 'mv',
25 but I have also seen the problem when using longer commands.
26
27 > Does it also happen in another
28 > shell than bash (for example in 'busybox ash')?
29
30 Just tried it: no, the problem was absent.
31
32 > Does it also
33 > happen in 'env -i bash --noprofile --norc'?
34
35 Tried that too: again the problem disappears. Oddly, when I exited
36 from that environment (back to regular bash) the problem did not
37 re-appear. It re-appeared only when I logged out and then back in.
38
39 > Does it happen in single-user maintenaince mode?
40
41 I'm embarrased to admit I don't know how to get to that.
42
43 > Does it happen when running from a liveCD?
44
45 No.
46
47 Thanks for your help.