From: Benno Schulenberg <benno.schulenberg@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] laptop sometimes needs double keystrokes
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 20:50:36
1 Roger Mason wrote:
2 > > Does it also happen in another
3 > > shell than bash (for example in 'busybox ash')?
4 >
5 > Just tried it: no, the problem was absent.
6
7 Okay. Hmm... Which version of bash are you using? You're running
8 stable so it should be 3.1. But I would have thought that the
9 problem you're seeing is caused by 3.2. If you're using 3.2,
10 then simply try setting PS1="\h \W \$ " and see if the problem is
11 gone. If so, downgrade to bash-3.1 and wait for 3.2 to get fixed.
12
13 > > Does it happen in single-user maintenaince mode?
14 >
15 > I'm embarrased to admit I don't know how to get to that.
16
17 Stop GRUB when in its booting menu, then type E to temporarily
18 change the line that boots Gentoo, type a space and a 1 at the end,
19 and then boot that line. You have to fiddle a bit, needing to type
20 E twice, then add " 1", then Escape, then B -- I don't remember
21 exactly.
22
23 See http://gentoo-wiki.com/TIP_Booting_into_single_user_mode for
24 more info.
25
26 But you don't need to do this as you've already found that the
27 problem is in bash and it's related to something in the environment.
28 If the PS1 didn't fix it, try with either just --norc or just
29 --noprofile to try and narrow things down further.
30
31 Benno
32 --
33 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list