From: Joshua Murphy <poisonbl@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can I (partially) rebuild a package with emerge?
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 04:26:29
1 2009/12/16 Jesús Guerrero <i92guboj@×××××.es>:
2 > On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 20:44:29 +0000, Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de> wrote:
3 >> Hi, gentoo,
4 >>
5 >> I've just emerged xorg-x11, and noticed that I had a wrong setting for
6 >> VIDEO_CARDS in /etc/make.conf.  Does emerge have a facility to rebuild
7 >> only those portions of xorg-x11 dependent on that setting, or do I have
8 >> to start again from scratch?  I've perused the emerge man page, but not
9 >> found this situation addressed.
10 >
11 > What you failed to see if that VIDEO_CARDS flags are just an special type
12 > of USE flags. Using -auDvN world will fix everything. Truly speaking,
13 > xorg-server wouldn't even need to be recompiled (though that's what portage
14 > will do). As far as I know, all these special USE flags for xorg-server
15 > just push one of another xf86-video-* package(s) as dependencies, which in
16 > turn install the required driver(s).
17 >
18 > The rest of Xorg components do not relate to this, you shouldn't need to
19 > recompile anything else unless it also depends on VIDEO_CARDS (only several
20 > packages do, like DirectFB if I remember right).
21 >
22 > --
23 > Jesús Guerrero
24
25 Actually, as I ran across on my ~x86 systems, x11-base/xorg-drivers is
26 now a separate ebuild from
27 xorg-server, keeping the latter from trying to be rebuilt every time
28 you change what drivers you want to have built... and looking at
29 gentoo-portage.com, xorg-drivers-1.6 is stable on both amd64 and x86.
30 It really is a much more sensible approach, and appears to work rather
31 well.
34 Poison [BLX]
35 Joshua M. Murphy