From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I'm trying to emerge polkit, now it wants to bring in all of KDE
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2014 19:24:05
1 On Tue, 30 Sep 2014 01:18:06 +0800, Andrew Lowe wrote:
2
3 > Just what is happening with ebuilds today? At work, I'm in the
4 > process of setting up a workstation using the KDE profile. I've gone to
5 > the KDE install doco on the wiki, http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/KDE, had
6 > a read and it says that I'll need D-Bus, polkit, udev and udisks. I can
7 > emerge D-Bus with no problems then onto polkit which its wiki says
8 > needs D-Bus and consolekit.
9 >
10 > So I attempt to install consolekit and bingo, there's the
11 > avalanche. Perl crap everywhere, Samba, MySQL & MariaDB, and I don't
12 > even use either of these DB's, a battle between LibAV and FFMPEG, what
13 > looks like all of KDE and oh look, there's vlc along for the ride. Even
14 > zlib decides it wants to come along but manages to block itself. That
15 > many files want to come along to the party that I can't "Shift PgUp"
16 > back up through my text console to see it all - a text console because
17 > I don't have any graphics installed yet.
18
19 You are using the KDE profile, so you should expect programs emerged
20 with the kde USE flag to depend on elements of KDE. As others have said,
21 just emerge the KDE programs or meta-packages you want and let portage
22 handle everything else.
23
24 Alternatively, switch to a standard desktop profile, get X working, then
25 switch profiles and emerge your KDE packages.
29 Neil Bothwick
30
31 The Computer is the logical advancement of humankind:
32 intelligence without morality.