From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Systemd upower
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2014 09:11:33
1 On 05/06/14 12:03, Mick wrote:
2 > On Thursday 05 Jun 2014 08:25:30 Samuli Suominen wrote:
3 >> On 05/06/14 08:23, Mick wrote:
4 >>> Are you saying that as things stand it is a matter of time before a
5 >>> gentoo user will have to switch from openrc to systemd, if they
6 >>> want/need to continue using sleep and hibernate?
7 >> For those tasks you mentioned...
8 >>
9 >> ...if other desktops don't migrate like Xfce, then something like:
10 >>
11 >> Switching to a) systemd, OR b) switching to Xfce (direct pm-utils
12 >> support in session and power managers),
13 >> OR c) switching to command line pm-* utilities directly from pm-utils
14 >>
15 >> ...might be inevitable
16 >>
17 >> And if Linux kernel does changes that break pm-utils, which haven't had
18 >> a single commit since 2010
19 >> in upstream repository:
20 >>
21 >> Switching to a) systemd, OR, b) wait, no other possibilities
22 >>
23 >> Yes, that's really how poor the situation is, and don't shoot me, I'm
24 >> only the messenger :-)
25 > Thanks Samuli, I don't shoot people, especially when they try to help me! :-)
26 >
27 > I use enlightenment on most machines and KDE on a couple of desktops, so I
28 > guess these would be the only two desktops that may be an issue for me.
29 > However, I had forgotten about the pm-* commands. I just tried:
30 >
31 > pm-is-supported --suspend-hybrid
32 >
33 > and didn't get anything ... what am I missing?
36 null ssuominen # pm-is-supported --suspend
37 null ssuominen # echo $?
38 0
39 null ssuominen # pm-is-supported --hibernate
40 null ssuominen # echo $?
41 0
42 null ssuominen # pm-is-supported --suspend-hybrid
43 null ssuominen # echo $?
44 0
45
46 see `man pm-is-supported`, this particular command is silent, and only
47 returns
48 return codes, and 0 means it succeeded
49
50 - Samuli