From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Systemd upower
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2014 10:24:03
1 On Thursday 05 Jun 2014 10:08:53 Samuli Suominen wrote:
2 > On 05/06/14 12:03, Mick wrote:
3 > > On Thursday 05 Jun 2014 08:25:30 Samuli Suominen wrote:
4 > >> On 05/06/14 08:23, Mick wrote:
5 > >>> Are you saying that as things stand it is a matter of time before a
6 > >>> gentoo user will have to switch from openrc to systemd, if they
7 > >>> want/need to continue using sleep and hibernate?
8 > >>
9 > >> For those tasks you mentioned...
10 > >>
11 > >> ...if other desktops don't migrate like Xfce, then something like:
12 > >>
13 > >> Switching to a) systemd, OR b) switching to Xfce (direct pm-utils
14 > >> support in session and power managers),
15 > >> OR c) switching to command line pm-* utilities directly from pm-utils
16 > >>
17 > >> ...might be inevitable
18 > >>
19 > >> And if Linux kernel does changes that break pm-utils, which haven't had
20 > >> a single commit since 2010
21 > >> in upstream repository:
22 > >>
23 > >> Switching to a) systemd, OR, b) wait, no other possibilities
24 > >>
25 > >> Yes, that's really how poor the situation is, and don't shoot me, I'm
26 > >> only the messenger :-)
27 > >
28 > > Thanks Samuli, I don't shoot people, especially when they try to help me!
29 > > :-)
30 > >
31 > > I use enlightenment on most machines and KDE on a couple of desktops, so
32 > > I guess these would be the only two desktops that may be an issue for
33 > > me. However, I had forgotten about the pm-* commands. I just tried:
34 > >
35 > > pm-is-supported --suspend-hybrid
36 > >
37 > > and didn't get anything ... what am I missing?
38 >
39 > null ssuominen # pm-is-supported --suspend
40 > null ssuominen # echo $?
41 > 0
42 > null ssuominen # pm-is-supported --hibernate
43 > null ssuominen # echo $?
44 > 0
45 > null ssuominen # pm-is-supported --suspend-hybrid
46 > null ssuominen # echo $?
47 > 0
48 >
49 > see `man pm-is-supported`, this particular command is silent, and only
50 > returns
51 > return codes, and 0 means it succeeded
52
53 Yes, I had seen the man page and was expecting a return code, your echo string
54 worked. Thank you.
55 --
56 Regards,
57 Mick