From: Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] utempter vs libutempter
Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2006 21:31:07
1 At Sat, 03 Jun 2006 22:20:25 +0200 Benno Schulenberg <benno.schulenberg@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Allan Gottlieb wrote:
4 >> unmerge A
5 >> merge B
6 >> merge A
7 >
8 > When A is blocking B, the normal thing to do is to just unmerge A,
9 > and then execute again the command that reported the blockage.
10 > This is normally something like 'emerge -vaDu world'. If the
11 > package you unmerged is still needed, it will then automatically
12 > get remerged.
13
14 I see. This would cover many cases. But the command original command
15 could have been "emerge (perhaps --update) B". A might still be
16 needed (e.g. it might have been in world). With (the updated) B
17 merged an emerge of A could still be successful since the ebuild for A
18 might behave differently with (the updated) B present. Another
19 example would be the original command was 'emerge -vaDu world', but A
20 was in world and is not depended upon by anything else. Since A was
21 unmerged, it will not be remerged.
22
23 I don't know if this occurs in practice.
24
25 These examples are admittedly rather comtrived. My google search
26 result (posted a few msgs ago) gave the three step sequence you quoted
27 above. I agree that your proposed two step procedure is more likely
28 to give better results. Is the following modification of yours better
29 or worse. It does seem to cover an extra case, but may be too
30 complicated to put in a wiki page
31
32 When A is blocking B, the normal thing to do is to unmerge A, and
33 then execute again the command that reported the blockage. This
34 command is normally something like 'emerge -vaDu world'. If the
35 package you unmerged is still needed, it will often automatically
36 get remerged.
37
38 However, if A was originally in world and not depended upon by
39 anything else, it will not be remerged. If A is still needed it
40 must be explicitly emerged. (With the, possibly updated, B now
41 merged the ebuild of A may behave differently so that no blockage
42 occurs.)
43
44 allan
45 --