From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] At last! A Qt5 version of KMail-2 - but here be dragons!
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2016 11:06:08
1 On December 27, 2016 5:39:09 PM GMT+01:00, Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >On Tuesday, 27 December 2016 15:19:29 GMT J. Roeleveld wrote:
3 >> On December 27, 2016 3:38:28 PM GMT+01:00, Peter Humphrey
4 ><peter@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
5 >> >On Sunday, 18 December 2016 19:07:23 GMT J. Roeleveld wrote:
6 >> >> More important, how is the latest kmail behaving?
7 >> >
8 >> >My first impression is one of horror. It's ghastly!
9 >> >
10 >> >I've never seen such profligate waste of screen space. I've attached
11 >a
12 >> >couple of screen shots to show you what I mean.
13 >>
14 >> Thanks :)
15 >>
16 >> >Take the folder list, for example. I used to be able to show all
17 >those
18 >> >folders in one panel with no scroll-bars, with no difficulty reading
19 >> >them; now eight folders spill over. I may be able to find a more
20 >compact
21 >> >arrangement but this is the best I've managed so far. At least with
22 >> >kmail:4 I could tweak Qt settings to condense it; now nothing I do
23 >makes
24 >> >any improvement.
25 >>
26 >> I would expect font settings. In kmail:4 there is a display part in
27 >the
28 >> settings menu. I never did anything directly with Qt to chamge
29 >anything.
30 >> I have too many folders anyway for it to fit (unless I would have a
31 >BIG
32 >> 4K screen...)
33 >
34 >You see how spaced out the folder list is? There's no setting for that
35 >in
36 >KMail as far as I can see. The Qt Configuration tool has an Interface
37 >tab.
38 >Under Global Strut you can set minimum width and height. The default is
39 >
40 >zero, giving Qt free rein to do what it likes, but I could set those to
41 >1
42 >and kmail:4 would tuck all those folder entries up so that they fitted
43 >without scrolling. It has no effect on kmail:5 though.
44 >
45 >> >Then the message view. Message.png shows what your message looks
46 >like
47 >> >in this version of KMail (the message I'm replying to now). This is
48 >with
49 >> >all the bells and whistles I can find switched off.
50 >>
51 >> That actually looks nice to me. Do the minus (-) blocks actually
52 >allow the
53 >> quotes to be folded up?
54 >
55 >To each his own of course, but for myself, I just want the text with
56 >some
57 >quoting. Yes the minus blocks do fold up, but all of them or none.
58 >There's
59 >no individual control.
60 >
61 >I found a new header selection. After switching it back from 5.2 style
63 >Fancy, it's back the way I like it.
64 >
65 >> >Next, after I'd emerged kde-apps/kmai-16.12.0, it was incomplete. I
66 >had
68 >> >install several other packages to complete it, including the import
69 >> >wizard.
70 >> >Rather than messing about, I just emerged kdepim-meta and had done
71 >with
72 >> >it.
73 >> >
74 >> >Even after doing that, I get "No backend available for spell
75 >checking,"
76 >> >even
77 >> >though I've set everything up that I can see. Myspell and hunspell
78 >are
79 >> >both
80 >> >installed.
81 >>
82 >> Hmm... that's not nice. Then again, I only use spell check for
83 >documents.
84 >> Not emails. Never really trusted those ever since I saw dictionaries
85 >get
86 >> automatically ruined by 'do you want to add this word to the
87 >dictionary'.
88 >
89 >Kmail:4 used to default to Australian English, no matter how many times
90 >I
91 >reminded it I'm in the UK. This one has no back-end at all.
92 >
93 >--->8
94 >
95 >> >Nothing to do with KMail, but the display of gkrellm has changed
96 >> >dramatically. I use its Invisible theme, which hasn't actually been
97 >> >invisible since the switch from KDE-3 to 4, but it had a plain,
98 >> >unobtrusive
99 >> >grey scheme and showed what I wanted to see, clearly and with no
100 >drama.
101 >> >Now,
102 >> >the chart backgrounds have changed from charcoal-grey to a dark red,
103 >> >and
104 >> >what was grey is now a dreadful salmon-pink. Of course I can't see
105 >the
106 >> >red
107 >> >traces any longer. Perhaps I'm missing a KDE or Qt component.
108 >>
109 >> Always possible. I tend to just install the meta stuff and be done
110 >with
111 >> it.
112 >
113 >I've found a lot more KDE-5 meta-packages and installed those, but they
114 >
115 >haven't helped with this.
116 >
117 >> >Oh, and when I start a reboot in KDE, akonadi crashes with a
118 >> >segmentation fault.
119 >>
120 >> That is a bug. Hope it gets ironed out soon. Maybe still busy
121 >indexing
122 >> your emails?
123 >
124 >Could be. I'll try leaving it for an hour or two.
125 >
126 >Since I wrote, I've noticed that the messages I imported from kmail
127 >archive
128 >are not all in the right folders - about 2000 have magically jumped
129 >from the
130 >Purchases folder to the inbox. I'm also seeing a reversion to that old
131 >problem of silly numbers of duplicates appearing in random places at
132 >random
133 >times. I had hoped that would be among the first things to be ironed
134 >out in
135 >the :5 version.
136 >
137 >> >I dare say version 16.12.0 of KMail-2 will make a decent platform
138 >for
139 >> >development, now that it's finally here, but a very great deal of
140 >work
141 >> >lies ahead. I can see that I'll be doing my fair share of shouting
142 >too,
143 >> >at it and at the devs.
144 >>
145 >> I'll try to get my desktop converted this week. And will join in the
146 >> bugreporting party.
147 >
148 >It would be good to have someone to compare notes with.
149 >
150 >--->8
151 >
152 >> >I think I'll have to go down the pub to drown my sorrows.
153 >>
154 >> Just don't climb behind the wheel of a car afterwards....
155 >
156 >No, it's just a wee stroll. Takes longer to get my shoes on. :-)
157
158 Peter,
159
160 Quick update on the qtconfig.
161 On my machine, I can only find the qt4 version. There doesn't seem to be a qt5 version.
162 That explains why the setting doesn't work with kmail:5.
165 Joost
166 --
167 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.