From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] At last! A Qt5 version of KMail-2 - but here be dragons!
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2016 16:39:25
1 On Tuesday, 27 December 2016 15:19:29 GMT J. Roeleveld wrote:
2 > On December 27, 2016 3:38:28 PM GMT+01:00, Peter Humphrey
3 <peter@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
4 > >On Sunday, 18 December 2016 19:07:23 GMT J. Roeleveld wrote:
5 > >> More important, how is the latest kmail behaving?
6 > >
7 > >My first impression is one of horror. It's ghastly!
8 > >
9 > >I've never seen such profligate waste of screen space. I've attached a
10 > >couple of screen shots to show you what I mean.
11 >
12 > Thanks :)
13 >
14 > >Take the folder list, for example. I used to be able to show all those
15 > >folders in one panel with no scroll-bars, with no difficulty reading
16 > >them; now eight folders spill over. I may be able to find a more compact
17 > >arrangement but this is the best I've managed so far. At least with
18 > >kmail:4 I could tweak Qt settings to condense it; now nothing I do makes
19 > >any improvement.
20 >
21 > I would expect font settings. In kmail:4 there is a display part in the
22 > settings menu. I never did anything directly with Qt to chamge anything.
23 > I have too many folders anyway for it to fit (unless I would have a BIG
24 > 4K screen...)
25
26 You see how spaced out the folder list is? There's no setting for that in
27 KMail as far as I can see. The Qt Configuration tool has an Interface tab.
28 Under Global Strut you can set minimum width and height. The default is
29 zero, giving Qt free rein to do what it likes, but I could set those to 1
30 and kmail:4 would tuck all those folder entries up so that they fitted
31 without scrolling. It has no effect on kmail:5 though.
32
33 > >Then the message view. Message.png shows what your message looks like
34 > >in this version of KMail (the message I'm replying to now). This is with
35 > >all the bells and whistles I can find switched off.
36 >
37 > That actually looks nice to me. Do the minus (-) blocks actually allow the
38 > quotes to be folded up?
39
40 To each his own of course, but for myself, I just want the text with some
41 quoting. Yes the minus blocks do fold up, but all of them or none. There's
42 no individual control.
43
44 I found a new header selection. After switching it back from 5.2 style to
45 Fancy, it's back the way I like it.
46
47 > >Next, after I'd emerged kde-apps/kmai-16.12.0, it was incomplete. I had
49 > >install several other packages to complete it, including the import
50 > >wizard.
51 > >Rather than messing about, I just emerged kdepim-meta and had done with
52 > >it.
53 > >
54 > >Even after doing that, I get "No backend available for spell checking,"
55 > >even
56 > >though I've set everything up that I can see. Myspell and hunspell are
57 > >both
58 > >installed.
59 >
60 > Hmm... that's not nice. Then again, I only use spell check for documents.
61 > Not emails. Never really trusted those ever since I saw dictionaries get
62 > automatically ruined by 'do you want to add this word to the dictionary'.
63
64 Kmail:4 used to default to Australian English, no matter how many times I
65 reminded it I'm in the UK. This one has no back-end at all.
66
67 --->8
68
69 > >Nothing to do with KMail, but the display of gkrellm has changed
70 > >dramatically. I use its Invisible theme, which hasn't actually been
71 > >invisible since the switch from KDE-3 to 4, but it had a plain,
72 > >unobtrusive
73 > >grey scheme and showed what I wanted to see, clearly and with no drama.
74 > >Now,
75 > >the chart backgrounds have changed from charcoal-grey to a dark red,
76 > >and
77 > >what was grey is now a dreadful salmon-pink. Of course I can't see the
78 > >red
79 > >traces any longer. Perhaps I'm missing a KDE or Qt component.
80 >
81 > Always possible. I tend to just install the meta stuff and be done with
82 > it.
83
84 I've found a lot more KDE-5 meta-packages and installed those, but they
85 haven't helped with this.
86
87 > >Oh, and when I start a reboot in KDE, akonadi crashes with a
88 > >segmentation fault.
89 >
90 > That is a bug. Hope it gets ironed out soon. Maybe still busy indexing
91 > your emails?
92
93 Could be. I'll try leaving it for an hour or two.
94
95 Since I wrote, I've noticed that the messages I imported from kmail archive
96 are not all in the right folders - about 2000 have magically jumped from the
97 Purchases folder to the inbox. I'm also seeing a reversion to that old
98 problem of silly numbers of duplicates appearing in random places at random
99 times. I had hoped that would be among the first things to be ironed out in
100 the :5 version.
101
102 > >I dare say version 16.12.0 of KMail-2 will make a decent platform for
103 > >development, now that it's finally here, but a very great deal of work
104 > >lies ahead. I can see that I'll be doing my fair share of shouting too,
105 > >at it and at the devs.
106 >
107 > I'll try to get my desktop converted this week. And will join in the
108 > bugreporting party.
109
110 It would be good to have someone to compare notes with.
111
112 --->8
113
114 > >I think I'll have to go down the pub to drown my sorrows.
115 >
116 > Just don't climb behind the wheel of a car afterwards....
117
118 No, it's just a wee stroll. Takes longer to get my shoes on. :-)
121 Regards
122 Peter