From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] At last! A Qt5 version of KMail-2 - but here be dragons!
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2016 15:19:42
1 On December 27, 2016 3:38:28 PM GMT+01:00, Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >On Sunday, 18 December 2016 19:07:23 GMT J. Roeleveld wrote:
3 >
4 >> More important, how is the latest kmail behaving?
5 >
6 >My first impression is one of horror. It's ghastly!
7 >
8 >I've never seen such profligate waste of screen space. I've attached a
9 >couple of screen shots to show you what I mean.
10
11 Thanks :)
12
13 >Take the folder list, for example. I used to be able to show all those
14 >folders in one panel with no scroll-bars, with no difficulty reading
15 >them;
16 >now eight folders spill over. I may be able to find a more compact
17 >arrangement but this is the best I've managed so far. At least with
18 >kmail:4
19 >I could tweak Qt settings to condense it; now nothing I do makes any
20 >improvement.
21
22 I would expect font settings. In kmail:4 there is a display part in the settings menu. I never did anything directly with Qt to chamge anything.
23 I have too many folders anyway for it to fit (unless I would have a BIG 4K screen...)
24
25 >Then the message view. Message.png shows what your message looks like
26 >in
27 >this version of KMail (the message I'm replying to now). This is with
28 >all
29 >the bells and whistles I can find switched off.
30
31 That actually looks nice to me. Do the minus (-) blocks actually allow the quotes to be folded up?
32
33 >Next, after I'd emerged kde-apps/kmai-16.12.0, it was incomplete. I had
35 >install several other packages to complete it, including the import
36 >wizard.
37 >Rather than messing about, I just emerged kdepim-meta and had done with
38 >it.
39 >
40 >Even after doing that, I get "No backend available for spell checking,"
41 >even
42 >though I've set everything up that I can see. Myspell and hunspell are
43 >both
44 >installed.
45
46 Hmm... that's not nice. Then again, I only use spell check for documents. Not emails. Never really trusted those ever since I saw dictionaries get automatically ruined by 'do you want to add this word to the dictionary'.
47
48 >In the message list I have next-to-no control over the font. I can set
49 >the
50 >basic one, but not those for unread, important or action items. They're
51 >now
52 >displayed in a reduced-density form of the basic font (while pretending
53 >
54 >they're going to use the same font as the message itself). The
55 >designers
56 >evidently know what I want better than I do (anyone might think this
57 >was
58 >Gnome).
59
60 I hope that can be fixed somehow.
61
62 >Nothing to do with KMail, but the display of gkrellm has changed
63 >dramatically. I use its Invisible theme, which hasn't actually been
64 >invisible since the switch from KDE-3 to 4, but it had a plain,
65 >unobtrusive
66 >grey scheme and showed what I wanted to see, clearly and with no drama.
67 >Now,
68 >the chart backgrounds have changed from charcoal-grey to a dark red,
69 >and
70 >what was grey is now a dreadful salmon-pink. Of course I can't see the
71 >red
72 >traces any longer. Perhaps I'm missing a KDE or Qt component.
73
74 Always possible. I tend to just install the meta stuff and be done with it.
75
76 >Oh, and when I start a reboot in KDE, akonadi crashes with a
77 >segmentation
78 >fault.
79
80 That is a bug. Hope it gets ironed out soon. Maybe still busy indexing your emails?
81
82 >I dare say version 16.12.0 of KMail-2 will make a decent platform for
83 >development, now that it's finally here, but a very great deal of work
84 >lies
85 >ahead. I can see that I'll be doing my fair share of shouting too, at
86 >it and
87 >at the devs.
88
89 I'll try to get my desktop converted this week. And will join in the bugreporting party.
90
91 >It's taken me about 30 hours to get this far. I ditched the old system
92 >altogether and built a new one on the kde-plasma profile. I didn't ask
93 >for
94 >anything in a slot 4, just slot 5 versions. I also ditched my old user
95 >and
96 >set up a new one from scratch. Headache? What headache?
97
98 Great....
99
100 >I think I'll have to go down the pub to drown my sorrows.
101
102 Just don't climb behind the wheel of a car afterwards....
105 Joost
109 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.