From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] At last! A Qt5 version of KMail-2 - but here be dragons!
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2016 14:38:48
1 On Sunday, 18 December 2016 19:07:23 GMT J. Roeleveld wrote:
2
3 > More important, how is the latest kmail behaving?
4
5 My first impression is one of horror. It's ghastly!
6
7 I've never seen such profligate waste of screen space. I've attached a
8 couple of screen shots to show you what I mean.
9
10 Take the folder list, for example. I used to be able to show all those
11 folders in one panel with no scroll-bars, with no difficulty reading them;
12 now eight folders spill over. I may be able to find a more compact
13 arrangement but this is the best I've managed so far. At least with kmail:4
14 I could tweak Qt settings to condense it; now nothing I do makes any
15 improvement.
16
17 Then the message view. Message.png shows what your message looks like in
18 this version of KMail (the message I'm replying to now). This is with all
19 the bells and whistles I can find switched off.
20
21 Next, after I'd emerged kde-apps/kmai-16.12.0, it was incomplete. I had to
22 install several other packages to complete it, including the import wizard.
23 Rather than messing about, I just emerged kdepim-meta and had done with it.
24
25 Even after doing that, I get "No backend available for spell checking," even
26 though I've set everything up that I can see. Myspell and hunspell are both
27 installed.
28
29 In the message list I have next-to-no control over the font. I can set the
30 basic one, but not those for unread, important or action items. They're now
31 displayed in a reduced-density form of the basic font (while pretending
32 they're going to use the same font as the message itself). The designers
33 evidently know what I want better than I do (anyone might think this was
34 Gnome).
35
36 Nothing to do with KMail, but the display of gkrellm has changed
37 dramatically. I use its Invisible theme, which hasn't actually been
38 invisible since the switch from KDE-3 to 4, but it had a plain, unobtrusive
39 grey scheme and showed what I wanted to see, clearly and with no drama. Now,
40 the chart backgrounds have changed from charcoal-grey to a dark red, and
41 what was grey is now a dreadful salmon-pink. Of course I can't see the red
42 traces any longer. Perhaps I'm missing a KDE or Qt component.
43
44 Oh, and when I start a reboot in KDE, akonadi crashes with a segmentation
45 fault.
46
47 I dare say version 16.12.0 of KMail-2 will make a decent platform for
48 development, now that it's finally here, but a very great deal of work lies
49 ahead. I can see that I'll be doing my fair share of shouting too, at it and
50 at the devs.
51
52 It's taken me about 30 hours to get this far. I ditched the old system
53 altogether and built a new one on the kde-plasma profile. I didn't ask for
54 anything in a slot 4, just slot 5 versions. I also ditched my old user and
55 set up a new one from scratch. Headache? What headache?
56
57 I think I'll have to go down the pub to drown my sorrows.
60 Regards
61 Peter

window.png image/png
message.png image/png