From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] At last! A Qt5 version of KMail-2 - but here be dragons!
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2016 11:11:43
1 On December 27, 2016 3:38:28 PM GMT+01:00, Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >On Sunday, 18 December 2016 19:07:23 GMT J. Roeleveld wrote:
3 >
4 >> More important, how is the latest kmail behaving?
5 >
6 >My first impression is one of horror. It's ghastly!
7 >
8 >I've never seen such profligate waste of screen space. I've attached a
9 >couple of screen shots to show you what I mean.
10 >
11 >Take the folder list, for example. I used to be able to show all those
12 >folders in one panel with no scroll-bars, with no difficulty reading
13 >them;
14 >now eight folders spill over. I may be able to find a more compact
15 >arrangement but this is the best I've managed so far. At least with
16 >kmail:4
17 >I could tweak Qt settings to condense it; now nothing I do makes any
18 >improvement.
19 >
20 >Then the message view. Message.png shows what your message looks like
21 >in
22 >this version of KMail (the message I'm replying to now). This is with
23 >all
24 >the bells and whistles I can find switched off.
25 >
26 >Next, after I'd emerged kde-apps/kmai-16.12.0, it was incomplete. I had
28 >install several other packages to complete it, including the import
29 >wizard.
30 >Rather than messing about, I just emerged kdepim-meta and had done with
31 >it.
32 >
33 >Even after doing that, I get "No backend available for spell checking,"
34 >even
35 >though I've set everything up that I can see. Myspell and hunspell are
36 >both
37 >installed.
38 >
39 >In the message list I have next-to-no control over the font. I can set
40 >the
41 >basic one, but not those for unread, important or action items. They're
42 >now
43 >displayed in a reduced-density form of the basic font (while pretending
44 >
45 >they're going to use the same font as the message itself). The
46 >designers
47 >evidently know what I want better than I do (anyone might think this
48 >was
49 >Gnome).
50 >
51 >Nothing to do with KMail, but the display of gkrellm has changed
52 >dramatically. I use its Invisible theme, which hasn't actually been
53 >invisible since the switch from KDE-3 to 4, but it had a plain,
54 >unobtrusive
55 >grey scheme and showed what I wanted to see, clearly and with no drama.
56 >Now,
57 >the chart backgrounds have changed from charcoal-grey to a dark red,
58 >and
59 >what was grey is now a dreadful salmon-pink. Of course I can't see the
60 >red
61 >traces any longer. Perhaps I'm missing a KDE or Qt component.
62 >
63 >Oh, and when I start a reboot in KDE, akonadi crashes with a
64 >segmentation
65 >fault.
66 >
67 >I dare say version 16.12.0 of KMail-2 will make a decent platform for
68 >development, now that it's finally here, but a very great deal of work
69 >lies
70 >ahead. I can see that I'll be doing my fair share of shouting too, at
71 >it and
72 >at the devs.
73 >
74 >It's taken me about 30 hours to get this far. I ditched the old system
75 >altogether and built a new one on the kde-plasma profile. I didn't ask
76 >for
77 >anything in a slot 4, just slot 5 versions. I also ditched my old user
78 >and
79 >set up a new one from scratch. Headache? What headache?
80 >
81 >I think I'll have to go down the pub to drown my sorrows.
82
83 My impressions will start here. Emailing using mobile while the IMAP mail is being synchronised. That usually takes a few hours.
84
85 Although that does appear to go faster now. I normally use Kontact for the whole shebang. And it looks similar to version 4.
86
87 The upgrade went quite smoothly, with a very rigorous cleaning exercise of anything wanting older versions.
88 Am expecting some possible issues when reinstalling those. But will see how that goes later today.
89
90 Full upgrade only took a couple of hours this morning.
93 Joost
94 --
95 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.