From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] At last! A Qt5 version of KMail-2 - but here be dragons!
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2016 17:53:57
1 On Wednesday, December 28, 2016 11:11:27 AM CET J. Roeleveld wrote:
2 > On December 27, 2016 3:38:28 PM GMT+01:00, Peter Humphrey
3 <peter@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
4 > >On Sunday, 18 December 2016 19:07:23 GMT J. Roeleveld wrote:
5 > >> More important, how is the latest kmail behaving?
6 > >
7 > >My first impression is one of horror. It's ghastly!
8 > >
9 > >I've never seen such profligate waste of screen space. I've attached a
10 > >couple of screen shots to show you what I mean.
11 > >
12 > >Take the folder list, for example. I used to be able to show all those
13 > >folders in one panel with no scroll-bars, with no difficulty reading
14 > >them;
15 > >now eight folders spill over. I may be able to find a more compact
16 > >arrangement but this is the best I've managed so far. At least with
17 > >kmail:4
18 > >I could tweak Qt settings to condense it; now nothing I do makes any
19 > >improvement.
20 > >
21 > >Then the message view. Message.png shows what your message looks like
22 > >in
23 > >this version of KMail (the message I'm replying to now). This is with
24 > >all
25 > >the bells and whistles I can find switched off.
26 > >
27 > >Next, after I'd emerged kde-apps/kmai-16.12.0, it was incomplete. I had
29 > >install several other packages to complete it, including the import
30 > >wizard.
31 > >Rather than messing about, I just emerged kdepim-meta and had done with
32 > >it.
33 > >
34 > >Even after doing that, I get "No backend available for spell checking,"
35 > >even
36 > >though I've set everything up that I can see. Myspell and hunspell are
37 > >both
38 > >installed.
39 > >
40 > >In the message list I have next-to-no control over the font. I can set
41 > >the
42 > >basic one, but not those for unread, important or action items. They're
43 > >now
44 > >displayed in a reduced-density form of the basic font (while pretending
45 > >
46 > >they're going to use the same font as the message itself). The
47 > >designers
48 > >evidently know what I want better than I do (anyone might think this
49 > >was
50 > >Gnome).
51 > >
52 > >Nothing to do with KMail, but the display of gkrellm has changed
53 > >dramatically. I use its Invisible theme, which hasn't actually been
54 > >invisible since the switch from KDE-3 to 4, but it had a plain,
55 > >unobtrusive
56 > >grey scheme and showed what I wanted to see, clearly and with no drama.
57 > >Now,
58 > >the chart backgrounds have changed from charcoal-grey to a dark red,
59 > >and
60 > >what was grey is now a dreadful salmon-pink. Of course I can't see the
61 > >red
62 > >traces any longer. Perhaps I'm missing a KDE or Qt component.
63 > >
64 > >Oh, and when I start a reboot in KDE, akonadi crashes with a
65 > >segmentation
66 > >fault.
67 > >
68 > >I dare say version 16.12.0 of KMail-2 will make a decent platform for
69 > >development, now that it's finally here, but a very great deal of work
70 > >lies
71 > >ahead. I can see that I'll be doing my fair share of shouting too, at
72 > >it and
73 > >at the devs.
74 > >
75 > >It's taken me about 30 hours to get this far. I ditched the old system
76 > >altogether and built a new one on the kde-plasma profile. I didn't ask
77 > >for
78 > >anything in a slot 4, just slot 5 versions. I also ditched my old user
79 > >and
80 > >set up a new one from scratch. Headache? What headache?
81 > >
82 > >I think I'll have to go down the pub to drown my sorrows.
83 >
84 > My impressions will start here. Emailing using mobile while the IMAP mail is
85 > being synchronised. That usually takes a few hours.
86 >
87 > Although that does appear to go faster now. I normally use Kontact for the
88 > whole shebang. And it looks similar to version 4.
89 >
90 > The upgrade went quite smoothly, with a very rigorous cleaning exercise of
91 > anything wanting older versions. Am expecting some possible issues when
92 > reinstalling those. But will see how that goes later today.
93 >
94 > Full upgrade only took a couple of hours this morning.
95 >
96 > --
97 > Joost
98
99 Ok, update time.
100 I haven't been able to do much with it today as I had to go to the office.
101
102 When I came back, various stuff had failed, but this is due to synchronizing
103 all email (old offline-imap option) to the desktop and the home-partition had
104 filled up.
105 I cleaned up all the kdepim config-files and the database tables again and
106 started kontact with a clean config. It is, again, synchronizing.
107
108 I did not experience any crashes of akonadi or kontact during normal use and
109 shutting down of applications (including akonadictl stop).
110 With the exception of what I mentioned before, which can not be blamed on
111 akonadi.
112
113 Things I like so far:
114 - Synchronisation seems to be faster, so is the rest of the interface.
115 - Synchronisation of groupdav is smoother
116 - There finally is a decent option to connect to office365 (including calendar)
117 (with the above, I have only tested loading data, not tested modifying
118 anything yet)
119
120 Things I miss:
121 - A configuration option inside "systemsettings", can not find the kcm for
122 akonadi:5.
123 - I can't find the little "-" icons which were present in the screenshots from
124 Peter Humphrey. I was actually hoping to test those, but they don't appear.
125
126 Things I don't like so far:
127 - The default colour scheme (unread emails are by default a very light-colour
128 blue, I prefer the old colourscheme.
129 - Having to get rid of kmymoney due to incompatible libraries. (Why does a
130 financial app have a hard-dependency on kdepimlibs????)
131
132 More updates are likely to follow, if people are actually interested.
133
134 The update to the current in-portage-tree version went quite smoothly once the
135 blocking packages were identified and removed. (All of kdepim:4 needs to be
136 removed first for portage to be able to identify all required keyword-changes)
137 This was mostly due to running a mixed stable and unstable setup.
138
139 If anyone is interested, I can provide the full keyword file I used.
142 Joost