From: Mark David Dumlao <madumlao@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Thanks and bye for now
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 14:49:18
1 On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 6:57 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > The cynic in me wants to say that Colin Kolivas tried telling the kernel devs
3 > for years about it and got stone-walled and ignored for years, despite
4 > maintaining a set of desktop patches that worked really well. Eventually he
5 > gave up and walked away in disgust when Ingo Molnar submitted scheduler
6 > patches that looked awfully like Colin's, and his were accepted....
7 >
8 > I'm not that much of a cynic though. Instead I'll recommend you find a set of
9 > desktop patches that work well and roll a kernel from those. The kernel devs
10 > are mostly paid by organizations that have a vested interest in having Linux
11 > work fabulously on big iron, so that's where the focus will tend to go.
12
13 I read the Con Kolivas story some time ago, although frankly I didn't
14 know what to do about it since I wanted a newer kernel after that. Any
15 recommendations for a similar ck-like patchset or anything like it for
16 desktop performance on later kernels? I doubt my toy boxes will really
17 hit server bottlenecks anyway :)