From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Thanks and bye for now
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2008 22:57:31
1 On Sunday 28 December 2008 22:52:08 Dale wrote:
2 > Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
3
4 > > It got worse with kernel 2.6.28, btw, especially mouse cursor
5 > > movement. It gets stuck and skips very noticeably. Fortunately, it's
6 > > not a point yet where I would describe it as unusable, but if the
7 > > trend continues, desktop will be totally unusable by 2.6.31/32 when
8 > > doing something that produces load.
9 >
10 > So it is not just me that has screwy mouse movement. I been using a old
11 > kernel for a while now and even thought it was just a wrong setting on
12 > my part.
13 >
14 > Has anyone been telling the kernel folks about this problem so they can
15 > fix it or roll something back?
16
17 The cynic in me wants to say that Colin Kolivas tried telling the kernel devs
18 for years about it and got stone-walled and ignored for years, despite
19 maintaining a set of desktop patches that worked really well. Eventually he
20 gave up and walked away in disgust when Ingo Molnar submitted scheduler
21 patches that looked awfully like Colin's, and his were accepted....
22
23 I'm not that much of a cynic though. Instead I'll recommend you find a set of
24 desktop patches that work well and roll a kernel from those. The kernel devs
25 are mostly paid by organizations that have a vested interest in having Linux
26 work fabulously on big iron, so that's where the focus will tend to go.
27
28 This is opensource, where you get to bash the code into any shape you need to
29 get it to suit your needs :-) I myself don't need desktop patches (yet), but
30 if I did, I would probably first look at the patches the Ubuntu kernel devs
31 apply, followed by fedora
35 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com