From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Thanks and bye for now
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2008 23:07:11
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Sunday 28 December 2008 22:52:08 Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
8 >>> It got worse with kernel 2.6.28, btw, especially mouse cursor
9 >>> movement. It gets stuck and skips very noticeably. Fortunately, it's
10 >>> not a point yet where I would describe it as unusable, but if the
11 >>> trend continues, desktop will be totally unusable by 2.6.31/32 when
12 >>> doing something that produces load.
13 >>>
14 >> So it is not just me that has screwy mouse movement. I been using a old
15 >> kernel for a while now and even thought it was just a wrong setting on
16 >> my part.
17 >>
18 >> Has anyone been telling the kernel folks about this problem so they can
19 >> fix it or roll something back?
22 > The cynic in me wants to say that Colin Kolivas tried telling the kernel devs
23 > for years about it and got stone-walled and ignored for years, despite
24 > maintaining a set of desktop patches that worked really well. Eventually he
25 > gave up and walked away in disgust when Ingo Molnar submitted scheduler
26 > patches that looked awfully like Colin's, and his were accepted....
27 >
28 > I'm not that much of a cynic though. Instead I'll recommend you find a set of
29 > desktop patches that work well and roll a kernel from those. The kernel devs
30 > are mostly paid by organizations that have a vested interest in having Linux
31 > work fabulously on big iron, so that's where the focus will tend to go.
32 >
33 > This is opensource, where you get to bash the code into any shape you need to
34 > get it to suit your needs :-) I myself don't need desktop patches (yet), but
35 > if I did, I would probably first look at the patches the Ubuntu kernel devs
36 > apply, followed by fedora
41 I use the Gentoo sources so why don't they patch them? I've tried
42 patching kernels before and it didn't work to well.
43
44 Dale
45