From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Thanks and bye for now
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 00:08:14
1 On Monday 29 December 2008 01:06:59 Dale wrote:
2 > > I'm not that much of a cynic though. Instead I'll recommend you find a
3 > > set of desktop patches that work well and roll a kernel from those. The
4 > > kernel devs are mostly paid by organizations that have a vested interest
5 > > in having Linux work fabulously on big iron, so that's where the focus
6 > > will tend to go.
7 > >
8 > > This is opensource, where you get to bash the code into any shape you
9 > > need to get it to suit your needs :-) I myself don't need desktop patches
10 > > (yet), but if I did, I would probably first look at the patches the
11 > > Ubuntu kernel devs apply, followed by fedora
16 > I use the Gentoo sources so why don't they patch them?  I've tried
17 > patching kernels before and it didn't work to well.
18
19 You'll have to ask the gentoo devs why they apply the patches they do. After
20 all, not every patch set out there will suit their goals and purposes.
23 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com