From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Thanks and bye for now
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 00:23:13
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Monday 29 December 2008 01:06:59 Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >>> I'm not that much of a cynic though. Instead I'll recommend you find a
5 >>> set of desktop patches that work well and roll a kernel from those. The
6 >>> kernel devs are mostly paid by organizations that have a vested interest
7 >>> in having Linux work fabulously on big iron, so that's where the focus
8 >>> will tend to go.
9 >>>
10 >>> This is opensource, where you get to bash the code into any shape you
11 >>> need to get it to suit your needs :-) I myself don't need desktop patches
12 >>> (yet), but if I did, I would probably first look at the patches the
13 >>> Ubuntu kernel devs apply, followed by fedora
14 >>>
15 >>>
16 >>>
17 >>>
18 >> I use the Gentoo sources so why don't they patch them? I've tried
19 >> patching kernels before and it didn't work to well.
22 > You'll have to ask the gentoo devs why they apply the patches they do. After
23 > all, not every patch set out there will suit their goals and purposes.
27 I was curious if they know some desktop puters are even having this
28 problem or not. After all, if they don't know, they won't even consider
29 patching it then. I'm just sticking with 2.6.23 I guess. It works well.
30
31 Dale
32