From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Simultaneously emerging multiple packages with same dependencies
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 10:04:12
1 On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 07:12:24 +0200, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2
3 > > I'm aware that portage uses locking mechanism before modifying 'world'
4 > > file, but what about the actual building process ? I'd expect emerge
5 > > to check if dependency package is already build/installed (or
6 > > currently being build by another instance) and just skip it in this
7 > > case, however I haven't tried it yet.. Can anybody shred some light
8 > > on this ?
9 >
10 > You can try, but the second instance with simply block until the lock
11 > has been removed.
12
13 The lock is not there for the entire emerge, I have run two emerges at
14 the same time, such as when I needed to install something while a world
15 update is in progress. It is possible, but not recommended as a general
16 strategy. That's what --jobs is for.
20 Neil Bothwick
21
22 Top Oxymorons Number 21: "Now, then ..."