From: Meino.Cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Qucik and (not so) dirty WLAN setup
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2015 09:19:58
1 Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> [15-07-25 09:52]:
2 > On Saturday 25 Jul 2015 04:25:34 Meino.Cramer@×××.de wrote:
3 > > Hi,
4 > >
5 > > since the topic "WLAN/Wifi" is a wide area and I am only a pedestrian
6 > > (and a not native english speaker too), I want to ask for a keyword or
7 > > terminus technicus, what I need to search for...
8 > >
9 > > Wanted setup:
10 > > I Wifi connection between a tablet PC (android) and Gentoo Linux PC.
11 > > I definitely dont want any other to access neither the tablet nor the
12 > > PC.
13 > >
14 > > So...do I need a 'Hotspot' or what name does the setup has, which
15 > > I need to build on my Gentoo Linux PC?
16 > >
17 > > Thank you very much in advance for any help!
18 > > Best regards,
19 > > Meino
20 >
21 > You need to set up a wireless Host Access Point on your PC and secure it with
22 > WPA2. If you are really paranoid about attacks of the wireless connection,
23 > you can set up more advanced (enterprise) authentication between the access
24 > point and the tablet using SSL certificates and/or a RADIUS server. This
25 > would probably be an overkill for a domestic environment with a single device.
26 >
27 > As alternative, if more than WPA2 network security is a must, it would be
28 > easier to set up a VPN tunnel between the two devices, or SSH SOCKS5 server on
29 > the PC and something like proxychains on the client.
30 >
31 > For setting up hostapd have a look here:
32 >
33 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Hostapd
34 >
35 > --
36 > Regards,
37 > Mick
38
39 Hi Mick,
40
41 thank you for the translation Meino=>Wifi and Wifi=>Meino :) :)
42
43 Short "second" question:
44 Is it possible to limit the devices, which could connect to the access
45 point, to some MACs ?
46 (I know, this is not 100% secure, since even those could be faked, but
47 the average script kiddy may be block for a while.)
48
49 Best regards,
50 Meino