From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Qucik and (not so) dirty WLAN setup
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2015 07:43:11
1 On Saturday 25 Jul 2015 04:25:34 Meino.Cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > since the topic "WLAN/Wifi" is a wide area and I am only a pedestrian
5 > (and a not native english speaker too), I want to ask for a keyword or
6 > terminus technicus, what I need to search for...
7 >
8 > Wanted setup:
9 > I Wifi connection between a tablet PC (android) and Gentoo Linux PC.
10 > I definitely dont want any other to access neither the tablet nor the
11 > PC.
12 >
13 > So...do I need a 'Hotspot' or what name does the setup has, which
14 > I need to build on my Gentoo Linux PC?
15 >
16 > Thank you very much in advance for any help!
17 > Best regards,
18 > Meino
19
20 You need to set up a wireless Host Access Point on your PC and secure it with
21 WPA2. If you are really paranoid about attacks of the wireless connection,
22 you can set up more advanced (enterprise) authentication between the access
23 point and the tablet using SSL certificates and/or a RADIUS server. This
24 would probably be an overkill for a domestic environment with a single device.
25
26 As alternative, if more than WPA2 network security is a must, it would be
27 easier to set up a VPN tunnel between the two devices, or SSH SOCKS5 server on
28 the PC and something like proxychains on the client.
29
30 For setting up hostapd have a look here:
31
32 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Hostapd
35 Regards,
36 Mick