From: "José González Gómez" <jgonzalez.openinput@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SCIRE Project
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 10:02:46
1 2007/2/13, Daniel van Ham Colchete <daniel.colchete@×××××.com>:
2 >
3 > Hello everyone!!!!
4 >
5 > Here on my company we are going to start deploying Gentoo Linux on our
6 > customers. Every server will have the very same installed packages,
7 > the very same use flags, very same cflags, only a few configurations
8 > will differ.
9 >
10 > I would like the deployment and maintenance to be done as easily as
11 > possible because this project needs to be scalable to more than 100
12 > servers. Although we are going to install only 10 servers in the
13 > beginning, my boss says that I should be prepared for this number to
14 > grow.
15 >
16 > Yesterday I found about the SCIRE project that seems to solve my
17 > problems easily. But it seems that the project's development is
18 > stopped. Unfortunately, I don't know a thing of Phyton, so I can't
19 > help. Do anyone know how is the project going? Are we going to have a
20 > production usable release? If so, when? It's not like I'm pushing
21 > anything, I just want to know if I can count on it or not.
22 >
23 > Setting the project aside, I'm thinking about developing my own
24 > installer to install a catalyst's stage4 and reboot a working Gentoo.
25 > After that I'm thinking about using emerge with binary packages to
26 > install updates automatically. What do you think? Will it work? Is it
27 > possible to rollback an update if something goes wrong?
30 We're working on womething similar using catalyst [1] to create a custom
31 livecd, quickstart [2] to automate installation of a basic working system
32 from that livecd and puppet (already mentioned in the thread) to automate
33 administration from that point.
36 To solve the problem with incompatible configuration files, everytime
37 > I upgrade anything, a perl script will reconfigure the customers
38 > server.
41 I recommend to use an existing solution (puppet, cfengine, there are other
42 out there) instead of developing a custom tool to keep configuration up to
43 date.
44
45 Best regards
46 Jose