From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Extraordinarily laggy UI, keyboard, udev weirdness, KDE 4.5
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 05:04:16
1 On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 11:44 AM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de> wrote:
2 > On 08/12/2010 07:24 PM, Paul Hartman wrote:
3 >>
4 >> [...]
5 >> In X the UI responsiveness randomly goes bad, keyboard especially. At
6 >> first it'll be fine, then simply using Konsole and typing will begin
7 >> to slow down. Also, screen output in general seems to freeze until I
8 >> touch the mouse or keyboard. Even something like listing a directory.
9 >> It's really weird... It gets so bad that it becomes completely
10 >> unresponsive, freezing for minutes at a tie. It eventually un-freezes
11 >> momentarily, long enough to logout and back in at least. I disabled
12 >> desktop effects but it still had the same problem. I tried Gnome
13 >> briefly last night before going to sleep and didn't experience this
14 >> slowdown problem.
15 >>
16 >> Anyone else had those same problems or know what I might try? I'm
17 >> using nvidia-drivers and tried 3 different versions with no success. I
18 >> have not yet tried downgrading my kernel or KDE installation, but
19 >> that's next on the list of things to try tonight.
20 >
21 > I suppose you're running a complete ~arch system, not just some packages?
22 >
23 > Also, I had a somewhat similar problem with GUI slowness. It was a matter
24 > of disabling the "Use VSync" checkbox in System Settings->Desktop
25 > Effects->Advanced tab and enabling the "Disable functionality checks" box in
26 > the same tab. Note that the desktop and all apps will keep being tear-free
27 > and VSynced even if making those changes in System Settings.
28 >
29 > Furthermore, I've set:
30 >
31 > CheckIsSafe=false
32 >
33 > in my ~/.kde4/share/config/kwinrc
34 >
35 > After all that, KDE 4.5.0 runs perfectly for me using
36 > gentoo-sources-2.6.35-r1, xorg-server-1.8.99.905, and the following live
37 > (9999) packages:
38 >
39 > media-libs/mesa
40 > x11-proto/glproto
41 > x11-proto/dri2proto
42 > x11-libs/libdrm
43 > x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati
44 >
45 > Using KMS.
46
47 I'm using nvidia-drivers, and didn't try the -9999 version of those
48 last few packages but otherwise tried the rest of your suggestion.
49 Tried also upgrading to qt-4.7.0_beta2 but still having the freezing
50 problems. It happens even without desktop effects enabled, just plain
51 2D mode. So it seems something is just not right... will keep
52 experimenting.