From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Copy'n'Paste...but not for all?
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2017 16:18:51
1 On 26/06/2017 06:15 πμ, J. Roeleveld wrote:
2 > On June 26, 2017 3:19:49 AM GMT+02:00, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> [...]
4 >> Similar things happen with VMware. It seems that many applications do
5 >> not set the clipboard contents in a way that VB or VMw can recognize.
6 >>
7 >> Never found a solution to this myself.
8 >
9 > How do you try to copy/paste?
10 >
11 > I find it only works when I explicitly use 'edit->copy' and 'edit->paste'. Or CTRL-C and CTRL-V.
12 >
13 > In other words, just like in MS Windows.
14 >
15 > Selecting text and then pasting using the middle mouse button doesn't work.
16
17 Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V. In some applications it works, in some it doesn't.
18
19 I think there's several ways to set the clipboard in X. Some
20 applications do it correctly, some don't. Some desktop environments
21 interfere, some don't.
22
23 Sometimes the clipboard contents even disappear if you exit the
24 application you copied from. Start Google Chrome. Select the URL bar.
25 Press Ctrl+C. Quit Google Chrome. Try Ctrl+V somewhere. It's gone. The
26 clipboard content you just copied from Chrome is gone.
27
28 It's a good old huge big effing mess, as usual. The year of the Linux
29 desktop will probably be the one where the freakin' clipboard actually
30 works, because we still can't get it right in 2017.
31
32 /rant off