From: Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto <please.no.spam.here@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] First Portage Hick-up, Chokes on Java
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2008 15:27:49
1 On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 1:16 PM, Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.edu> wrote:
2 > On Tue, Nov 04, 2008 at 05:23:58PM +0200, Penguin Lover Alan McKinnon squawked:
3 >> On Tuesday 04 November 2008 16:16:30 Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto wrote:
4 >> > collision-protect seems nice, but I don't know about its drawbacks (if
5 >> > any), and since it seems not to be default and I don't have good
6 >> > knowledge of it, I didn't change the default.
7 >>
8 >> You probably want this enabled. I think it's disabled by default because new
9 >> users will have no idea whatsoever what to do about it. All it does is check
10 >> the files it wants to install with what's on the disk. If there's a match,
11 >> the existing files must only have been put there by the same package
12 >> (ignoring version numbers).
13 >>
14 >> If there's a collision, you get a huge big fat error message and a chance to
15 >> find out why two different packages install the same file. Maybe you need to
16 >> uninstall one, maybe it doesn't matter. If it's the latter, just
17 >>
18 >> FEATURES="-collision-protect" emerge <package>
19 >>
20 >> and continue as normal. In any event, you get to decide what should happen.
21 >> Every experienced gentoo user should be using this imho
24 > On my version of portage (2.2_rc13; but I am pretty sure this is the
25 > case for some older ones too), there is the default feature
26 > "protect-owned" which provides more or less the same function as
27 > collision-protect but is slightly smarter. See 'man make.conf' for
28 > details.
29 No. In my system (Portage 2.1.4.5) this FEATURE does not exist. I have
30 searched make.conf.example, and several portage-related man pages; no
31 mention to "protect-owned".
35 Software is like sex: it is better when it is free - Linus Torvalds