From: Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] First Portage Hick-up, Chokes on Java
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2008 15:16:06
1 On Tue, Nov 04, 2008 at 05:23:58PM +0200, Penguin Lover Alan McKinnon squawked:
2 > On Tuesday 04 November 2008 16:16:30 Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto wrote:
3 > > collision-protect seems nice, but I don't know about its drawbacks (if
4 > > any), and since it seems not to be default and I don't have good
5 > > knowledge of it, I didn't change the default.
6 >
7 > You probably want this enabled. I think it's disabled by default because new
8 > users will have no idea whatsoever what to do about it. All it does is check
9 > the files it wants to install with what's on the disk. If there's a match,
10 > the existing files must only have been put there by the same package
11 > (ignoring version numbers).
12 >
13 > If there's a collision, you get a huge big fat error message and a chance to
14 > find out why two different packages install the same file. Maybe you need to
15 > uninstall one, maybe it doesn't matter. If it's the latter, just
16 >
17 > FEATURES="-collision-protect" emerge <package>
18 >
19 > and continue as normal. In any event, you get to decide what should happen.
20 > Every experienced gentoo user should be using this imho
23 On my version of portage (2.2_rc13; but I am pretty sure this is the
24 case for some older ones too), there is the default feature
25 "protect-owned" which provides more or less the same function as
26 collision-protect but is slightly smarter. See 'man make.conf' for
27 details.
28
29 W
30 --
31 Don't tell anyone, but duct tape is The Force. It has a dark
32 side, and a light side, and it binds the Universe together.
33 Sortir en Pantoufles: up 698 days, 13:54