From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] First Portage Hick-up, Chokes on Java
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2008 15:24:08
1 On Tuesday 04 November 2008 16:16:30 Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto wrote:
2 > collision-protect seems nice, but I don't know about its drawbacks (if
3 > any), and since it seems not to be default and I don't have good
4 > knowledge of it, I didn't change the default.
5
6 You probably want this enabled. I think it's disabled by default because new
7 users will have no idea whatsoever what to do about it. All it does is check
8 the files it wants to install with what's on the disk. If there's a match,
9 the existing files must only have been put there by the same package
10 (ignoring version numbers).
11
12 If there's a collision, you get a huge big fat error message and a chance to
13 find out why two different packages install the same file. Maybe you need to
14 uninstall one, maybe it doesn't matter. If it's the latter, just
15
16 FEATURES="-collision-protect" emerge <package>
17
18 and continue as normal. In any event, you get to decide what should happen.
19 Every experienced gentoo user should be using this imho
22 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com